The Lodge offers walkers on Te Araroa National Walkway somewhere to rest and rejuvenate – a little bit of luxury!
We offer fully-catered and self-catered accommodation. Self catered rooms with a communal bathroom are $109 for a single person and $139 for a queen or twin room. Included in this price is use of the Lodge facilities including holding of your bounce box, spa, sauna, chip n putt golf course, guest lounge with wifi and kitchenette.
If you really want to treat yourself, why not get the catered package with above inclusions AND a 3-course home cooked meal and continental breakfast. The cost is $179 for a single person or $259 for a twin/queen.
Ensuite rooms with catering are $309 for a queen. These are our most popular rooms and we are not able to offer any date changes with this room type. The best option for walkers wanting this room type is to book a standard room and try to upgrade once you arrive or have a confirmed date.
Meal/ Transfer/ Extras pricing
3-course set menu dinner $49 per person
Continental breakfast for $20 per person
Please note that meals should be booked in advance
Gas cannister $10 (small)
Transfer to Glenrock Stream Trail Head $149 (1-2 people, $49 per extra person)
Transfer to Methven $129 (1-2 people, $29 per extra person)
Transfer to Glenrock via Methven $189 (1-2 people, $55 per extra person)
Transfer to Christchurch airport $189 (1-2 people, $55 per extra person)
Laundry (small) $10
*Please note that the transfers do not run daily and are only available to Lodge guests. BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL. Each trip is limited to 5 people so it’s first in first served*
Other transport options:
- NOTE – There is no safe place to cross the Rakaia River on foot near the Lodge or Glenrock Stream trailhead. At all times of year the Rakaia has deep tributaries with a fast-flowing current making attempts to swim across extremely hazardous.
- When walking on roads, please keep to the side at all times – roads are narrow and locals can travel quickly.
- Hitch-hiking is possible at your risk on all roads in the area and locals will pick up walkers if convenient. There is more traffic on the Lake Coleridge side of the Rakaia River than on the south side of the river.
- Methven Travel (Tel: 03 302 8106; 0274 375 432) run a school bus up Blackford/Double Hill Run Road (south side of Rakaia River), leaving Methven at 6am weekdays during school terms. This must be booked directly with Methven Travel at least one day before and charges apply (around $20pp). During weekends and outside of school terms (ie. mid-Dec to end Jan; Easter school holidays in April; etc.), they can provide private shuttles from around $120.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send parcels to the Lodge unless you have a confirmed booking and have advised us of the package. NO UNKNOWN PACKAGES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
DRY GOODS STORAGE:
All walkers who stay at the Lodge can send a supply box (bounce box) of non-perishable food for us to hold for you. This service is free for Lodge guests. Advise us that you want to send a supply package when you book your accommodation and we will send you the postal address details. THIS SERVICE IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO OUR GUESTS.
Unfortunately, we are unable to hold boxes for walkers who do not plan to stay at the Lodge. The nearest shops for resupply are in Methven.
We operate our business around pre-booked guests and MAY BE CLOSED at other times (even during summer). Walkers should contact us directly with the date they are aiming to stay. When you give us your date, we will advise you of any planned closures around that time and we expect that you would not arrive on those days.
- We will accommodate date changes free of charge, subject to availability (guests must advise at least 2 days before your booked date and it cannot be a planned closure date). On the rare occurrence that you arrive on a day that we are not able to accommodate you, our standard cancellation policy will apply.
- If you arrive on a closure date you will be charged the full amount and you will not be able to collect your bounce box so it’s important to factor that into your trip.
- The lodge has a 3pm check-in but allows walkers to arrive from 2pm. Please be aware that if you arrive early you will not be able to enter the Lodge until 2pm.
- When you book you MUST provide us with a credit card and your best guess for an arrival date. Once you have done that, you can send us your bounce box and we will hold it for you until you arrive.
- Please phone us on 03 318 5002 or email us for all bookings and inquiries. Please do not book via online booking channels as we are not able to offer date changes or other TA walker benefits.
Please see here for our standard cancellation policy.
- South-bound walkers must re-confirm your arrival date from Arthur’s Pass.
- North-bound walkers must re-confirm your arrival date from Mt Somers or Mt Potts Lodge.
This is a safety measure and enables us to give you an update on availability if you need to change dates.
Due to our location, we also need at least 48 hours notice if you require an evening meal.
There is no camping at the Lodge or near Lake Coleridge Village.
There are no areas where Freedom Camping is legally permitted between these two campgrounds.
With increasing numbers of walkers enjoying Te Araroa, landowners are becoming more likely to move people on who are camping illegally. If you are solely camping, we therefore highly recommend you plan your journey to use the official campgounds.